Monday, July 11, 2011

Name Calling!


Wordle: Dakota
Creating a Wordle is so easy and fun!
In my humble opinion, the most powerful word in any classroom is a student's name.  I'm not talking about using it to redirect misbehavior or to call on a student to answer a question (although those circumstances are necessary).  In my experience, using a child's name in a positive tone of voice reflects love and care which can lead to a deeper level of respect in that relationship.  I try to use a student's name in the middle of our conversation, and the big smile I see lets me know how warm and fuzzy she/he feels.  It just goes to show what Dale Carnegie says about names is true: "Remember that a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language." It reminds me of Proverbs 16:24: "Kind words are like honey--sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."  So, be a name caller!

Quick ideas to encourage name calling:

2 comments:

Tammi said...

Thanks for sharing this. It will go well with the lesson I do with Chrysanthemum at the beginning of the year.

Tammi
Having Fun K-1

TammiL(dot)13(at)gmail(dot)com

Kristie Chavis said...

Love love your blog! Check out mine. ;)
www.learningwithmrschavis.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...